Monday, September 8, 2008

Beetlejuice x Lydia - I don't get it!

Photobucket

Keep in mind, I'm referring to the cartoon series.

BxL fandom, I'm not saying you can't exist. I'm not saying you should burn any and all ideas of them coming together from the internet, your head, and the whole world.

But frankly, you creep me out. I'm not creeped out by the fact that Beetlejuice is very much DEAD. It just feels... pedophile to me. Not only is he hundreds of years older than her (even if you ignore that, he's still a fully grown adult - if he was around "her age," I guess it wouldn't technically be as big a deal), she's what, 12 years old? At least that's how it looks in the cartoon. It's less wrong, I suppose, if you age her to about 18, or 21, or even 30. As she is now, I don't like it.

So when you write fanfiction where Beetlejuice harbors passionate love for Lydia, or draw "luvy-dovey" fanart, or post a fan video on youtube featuring romantic lyrics and images of them hugging in the show... it... creeps me the heck out. Sorry.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think most people who like this ship or who write fanfiction base it on when Lydia's older and of age. Just putting that out there. Very rarely have I come across a fanfiction where she's the age she is now (yes, 12-ish).

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Most, if not all, romantic fanwork I've seen with them features Lydia when she's older.

Another thing is, and this is why the videos don't creep me out personally, is the fact that during the series they were basically on the exact same page as far as their relationship went...best friends forever, maybe with an innocent little crush on the side.

In real life, you just can't get that with a girl her age and a much older guy, because he's going to be thinking of something else. Because this is a kids' cartoon, Beetlejuice (it's to be presumed) never did. So yes, even though he was 590+ years older, when it came right down to it they were both kids going out on adventures.

...I really like this ship, sue me. V_V

Anonymous said...

well from what i know lydia has never be said to be a 12-y.o.,cartoon or movie, In the movie her age is said to be 14-y.o. but she is played by a 16-y.o. girl, so if we guess like most fanfiction that the cartoon takes place after the movie lydia would be 15-y.o. or 16-y.o. so she would be old enough even if is she is flat. As for beetlejuice age even if he looked same age as lydia he still over 600-y.o. so it don't really change any thing.

Anonymous said...

I tink they are a cute couple as friend and as lovers
Beetlejuise is 600 Years and a ghost people cant be that old so I think that you can't give Beetlejuice a age

Alienatia said...

In all of the fanfiction i have read Lydia has grown up to be around 18 or up. I think this way is kinda sweet, growing up friends to be true love.... I'm a helpless romantic sue me.

Unknown said...

I've read plenty of BxL fanfiction now and I must say that in every one Lydia was 19 or older. And as for his age, that's not really a problem to me because there are plenty of other fandoms where one of the partner's is older; Labyrinth for instance. It can be assumed that the main character in that, Jareth (who is a fae) is thousands of years old, yet he's in love with a 14 year old. So LydsxBeej, especially when Lydia is aged, doesn't bother me at all.