Friday, September 26, 2008

Raggedy Ann and Andy: A Musical Adventure

If you were ever a child (especially a girl) in the US, you likely know who Raggedy Ann and Andy are. These famous American ragdolls were created in the early 1900s and continue to florish in the world of children today (and even in some adults). And while some may be vaguely aware of a television series in the late '80s, fewer may be aware of a feature length film, released in 1977. I myself didn't even know about it until I bought my Raggedy Andy cel and did some research on Google for episode info.

First of all, I absolutely loved this movie. I regret very much that it missed me by a few years, and if I did see it as a kid, it was so infrequent, or once, that I don't even remember. But it's also almost like watching somebody's private drug trip - and maybe I was better off ;)

Photobucket

Raggedy Ann and Andy live in the playroom of 7-year-old Marcella, and for her birthday the little girl receives a French imported doll named Babette. Though beautiful, she's quite spoiled and bratty and doesn't want to live life in "such a horrible place." Ann, being incredibly sweet, makes an effort to be friends and introduces her to everyone.

Photobucket

I should mention that this movie is also a musical, the songs composed by Sesame Street great Joe Raposo. Even if they may seem randomly placed sometimes, they're incredibly catchy and difficult to dislike, particularly "Candy Hearts and Paper Flowers" (one of the most precious things I've ever heard). And you may or may not notice, but Ann's voice is provided by Didi Conn of Grease fame (aka Frenchie). A little raspy, but it's suiting. Andy's voice is my favorite - very friendly and soothing, something you could easily fall asleep listening to. Wonderful singing talent, too!

Photobucket

Well, anyway, Babette gets kidnapped by a perverted pirate (simply referred to as "Captain") who was trapped in a snow globe until he conned the other toys into helping him escape his glassy prison. Feeling sorry for the new doll and wanting to get Marcella's present back before she notices, Ann and Andy leave the safety of the nursery to rescue the beauty. And yes, they are indeed brother and sister, even though their behavior doesn't really spell that out (though they mention it a few times). In fact, I've come across many people who assume Andy is her boyfriend! But let's move on...

Photobucket

Shortly after walking through the dark woods, they run into a patched up, lumpy camel whose been alone for so long he hallucinates that he has a family of camels living up in the sky. No joke. LOOK AT HIS EYES! I think our friend here has been into Marcella's scented markers! Together, these three continue on in the mission, only to run into more oddball creatures, like a living mound of taffy, and a short king who gets bigger when making fun of people. It's incredibly bizarre, these creations, and I don't doubt you'll raise an eyebrow when they come on screen. Don't even get me started on the other playthings in Marcella's collection! You'll just have to watch and see for yourself.

But if you enjoy creative, adorable movies (for children or not) I recommend you check it out. Unfortunately, it's not available on DVD and the VHS went out of print years ago (and it's not very cheap to get if you're able to find it). Your best bet is to check it out on Youtube.

Watch it on Youtube

No comments: