Friday, July 11, 2008

Pokebeach interviews Masamitsu Hidaka

Photobucket

From Pokebeach:

According to the site, "Masamitsu Hidaka was the original director of Pokemon up until around the Battle Frontier season, and also worked as the storyboard artist for many episodes" - recently he was interviewed during a convention by one of the site's staff. I've taken clips from the whole thing, and discussing what popped out at me.

So, will Misty ever return to the show? His answer was a flat out no - not as a main character, anyway. If she is to ever return to the show, it will only be in a minor role as something like as a rival for a tournament, similar to May returning for a few Diamond and Pearl episodes. But no, "Kasumi-san" would never return as a main character again, unfortunately. I heard him mention "Pokemon Contests" in his response to my question, but the translator did not tell me what he meant.

This saddens me greatly. Perhaps it was foolish, but I always hoped the writers would bring her back for an "original trio" deal, if only close to the end. She's one of my favorite characters besides Team Rocket, so that "flat-out no" was like a strong jab in the chest. I was actually waiting for her to come back before I started watching new episodes again. Guess that won't happen!

Who is Ash's father? This one made him laugh, since I asked it rather bluntly and simply. He explained Ash's grandfather was a great Trainer who traveled the lands a long time ago, and Ash's father followed in his footsteps and left. Then I asked if he would ever appear, and he responded that only if the writers felt a need to "grow" Ash as a character (personal note: we need some character development, please). He explained he was not a writer on the show and merely worked as the storyboard artist, so he had no control over what they put on the show. But, he said there is a possibility his father could appear one day. At least we know Ash has a father now, unlike other anime characters.

You know, I've seen a lot of theories over the years, from Team Rocket's leader Giovanni, to Professor Oak. I didn't believe they ever found it important nor would they reveal it, but if they suddenly did someday, it would be great character development for Ash. So, Ash is a 3rd generation Pokemon trainer, huh?

This next paragraph is rather interesting. I asked him why they dropped Brock like a rock in the Orange Islands, and if they ever intended on his absence being temporary. He started to explain that they like to “switch up” the cast once in a while, and that was their first time doing it. Then I made sort of a “that’s obvious” face, and he started to talk for quite some time to the translator. The translator began to explain that the Japanese crew felt that Brock might be viewed as racist by the American people because of his eyes, and that they were even fearful of it when Pokemon first came to America. I asked if anyone ever complained, and he said no, but it was just that they were worried someone might eventually. So, they brought in a tall, white, Anglo-looking character to replace him, just to be on the safe side. Going back to the first interview with Mr. Hidaka, he had said they had to consider other countries when Pokemon started to go global, so this mentality fits even here, especially with the whole Jynx incident. So then I asked, “Why did you bring him back?” and he responded that “we realized no one really cared about it and liked Brock, so we brought him back.”

So that's why Tracy came in. Very interesting! I guess if Brock had stayed, Professor Ivy really would've been his dream girl? I wish he'd asked what exactly happened between them.

What about the main cast on the show? Since he had talked about how they like to “switch them up,” I explained to him that many fans want Ash, Misty, and Brock reunited again together. But, he reaffirmed what he said in the previous interview and said it wasn’t going to happen. I asked him what he meant in the previous interview about Pokemon Contests, and he said he just meant that characters like May have come back for a few episodes in Pokemon Contests, so Misty could come back too. He said, however, that Contests don’t appear to be her thing, so if she were to come back, it would probably be to join Ash in a battle or to just meet them somewhere. So then I said, “Why can’t you just ditch Brock, have Ash, have Misty, and then bring in a new boy? That would be switching up things instead of having a new girl.” His following answers made me laugh my head off – I had to pick it up off the floor and reattach it. He stated that they like to switch up the girls because it gives the boys some new eye candy every once in a while. He also said girls are more customizable and you can change their outfits, like when they are in their bathing suits (yes, he specifically said that).

Tsk. Well, that's sexism for you. Misty, May, etc. nothing more than fresh "eye candy."

No comments: