Sunday, August 24, 2008

Saturday Morning Memories

It's that time of year again - when kids, teens and college students alike pack up their backpacks, stock up on folders and crazy glue, and head back to school. Until several years ago, this also meant the triumphant return of Saturday Morning Cartoons. It was something to look forward to after a week of "teacher's dirty looks" and pop quizzes. A time to get up at 6 am, a bowl of cereal on your lap, watching the latest antics of your favorite characters, then spending the rest of the day playing with friends.

This isn't so anymore. The most you'll get is Discovery Kids-like fodder, reruns from other channels or imports from other countries (here meaning anime) - nothing at all exclusive and original. That's really sad - but this post is about my childhood, and what I saw during that era (the 1980s).

ABC commercial bumpers:



Commercials that played on CBS in 1988 (also includes bumpers):



Now, I was a teenager when this came into development (late 90s), but I still watched because I love cartoons (and Saturday Morning Cartoons were not yet "dead"), so this is nostalgic for me as well:

No comments: