Sunday, January 13, 2008

Pokemon shipping, what I know and support

Photobucket

Pokemon is pretty much the only fandom I partake in that creates names for pairings. Everything else will just do something like DannyxSam or simply DS when talking about it. At least, that I know of. While many are confusing unless you are "in the know" (would you ever know what somebody meant if they said they supported greenshipping or daddyshipping?) there are some I am familiar with. I may be missing a few terms (some pairings have several names... I know, confusing, right?).

Contestshipping (also known as シュウハル/shuuharu) - May/Drew - I have not watched the show on a regular basis since Orange Islands, so I know very little about them, frankly. A semi-popular pairing that many believe is practically canon, May and Drew are rivals in Pokemon Coordinating. I admit that I have read a few contestshipping fanfics out of curiousity, and find it cute. I could support this pairing if only to ward off May from EVER getting together with Ash XD For More Information:
Drew & May rock!!!, Wikipedia

Danceshipping - Rudy/Misty - Ash and the gang meet Rudy after saving the life of his sister. Misty finds herself being wooed and flirted with by Rudy, and he asks her to stay with his family, but she declines. I don't support this pairing, and the only time I've seen this used is for fanfiction when Rudy is the abusive husband/boyfriend and Misty runs off to Ash for support. I don't know how popular it is, but it's likely obscure. I couldn't even find furthur information under this name, so maybe it's not the "official," recognized shipping name?

Eldershipping - Professor Oak/Delia - This one is pretty obscure, I think. I've only found one or two instances of fanfiction or support. I guess the idea of two "old people" being in love creeps people out? Hmm. Anyway, I'm just not feeling this one. It's OK if it happens (if it hasn't already behind the scenes) but I'm not about to make a banner singing praise, or code a website about it. For More Information:
Wikipedia

Palletshipping (also known as ShiShi) - Ash/Gary - Ash and Gary grew up in the same town, and are training rivals. Not into this pairing, since I'm not into yaoi and I'm a strong Pokeshipping supporter. For More Information:
Wikipedia

Pokeshipping (also known as サトカス/satokasu, twerpshipping, AAML) - Ash/Misty -
The oldest and most popular pairing in Pokemon's history. Ash and Misty met each other very early in Ash's journey (I want to say the first day), and traveled together for a few seasons. Many believe that Misty developed a crush (or at least affection) for the boy during this time. 4KIDS, the North American dubbers of the show, even produced two or three songs exploring these feelings. This is my very favorite shipping, and I'll keep supporting it no matter what! For More Information: Wikipedia

Rocketshipping (also known as ムサコジ/musakoji, JAJL) - Jessie/James - Probably the second most popular pairing in Pokemon fandom. Jessie and James have known each other since they were kids, and have been through a lot together, both inside and outside of Team Rocket. They tend to hug a lot. Though made official in the manga series, it's yet to happen in the anime. For More Information:
Wikipedia

JAPANESE FANSITES:

Get Happy - Poke-Contest-Rocketshipping
Miyabic Room - Pokeshipping
Pokemon-Search - Search engine for sites about certain pairings, characters, etc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like u r a huge fan of pokemon as i am so why not u share some of the links (if u have) with other fans of pokemon to download pokemon tv show.
what do u think?